Job Type: Full Time
Closing Date: June 3, 2022 4:00 pm
Wightman continues to grow and we are currently recruiting for a Facility Locate Technician to join our team.
As a member of the Construction team, you will be responsible for the correct, safe and efficient locating of Wightman’s underground facilities as required. This includes taking the time to thoroughly search for underground facilities in designated areas, properly marking the location, completing the necessary paperwork and photographing locates as required.
This position requires the technician to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions and use a company provided laptop to document all tickets. The technician will be proficient in the use of a laptop for receiving their daily workload, entering job related information and closing out each job. The technician works closely with staff in the Provisioning and Construction teams, and will demonstrate excellent, courteous communication by phone and email.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Locate both underground copper and fibre facilities
- Use and understand digital and analogue maps
- Create clear documentation to support the cable locate using a laptop, hand drawings and photographs.
Core Competencies (Skills & Attributes)
Skills and Attributes:
- Ability to effectively use various test equipment such as a digital multi-meter, cable locator.
- Knowledgeable in the use of Utilocate software
- Document all work completed to ensure accuracy.
- Care for any company provided tools, equipment and property. Ensure stocked materials and tools in the vehicle are well organized to ensure a safe and efficient work environment.
- Demonstrate excellent driving skills in the safest manner.
- Respond to after-hours locate requests as required.
- Proactively demonstrate Health and Safety work safe practices to foster the safest work environment possible.
Organization, Planning and Implementation:
- Full work day attendance and punctuality.
- Superior job task planning.
- Strong time management skills.
- Strong technical and analytical aptitude.
- Excellent oral communication and listening skills; ability to effectively communicate ideas, concerns and job tasks with customers as well as within the organization.
- Accurate and legible written communication.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Professional phone etiquette with customers and co-workers.
- Work effectively with others to achieve the same goals.
- Able to rely on and reciprocate technical support with co-workers.
- Work collaboratively with other departments.
- Ability to identify situations and systematically trouble shoot issues using the knowledge and understanding of the tools required to swiftly resolve problems.
- Post- secondary education in Electronics preferred.
- Solid understanding of the Telecommunication Industry – with a focus on Outside Plant.
- Previous experience in telecommunications considered an asset.
- Experience with Customer Information Systems such as iVue considered an asset.
- Valid Driver’s License with a clean abstract.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
- This position requires extensive physical demands such as carrying, kneeling, bending, and work in all types of weather conditions.
- Specialized training consists of, but is not limited to, “Work Area Protection,” “Electrical Awareness,” WHMIS, and “Defensive Driving.”
- Additional demands include driving, working with small tools and objects, working autonomously and following tight schedules.
How To Apply
In order to be considered for this opportunity, candidates are asked to submit their resume no later than:
- Friday June 3, 2022 4pm to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Wightman is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all that express interest in joining our team however only those candidates selected will be contacted regarding additional assessment stages.